Mr. Nanik Rupani founded a unique institution, Priyadarshni Academy in 1985. It is a non-profit, socio-cultural and educational organisation. The purpose behind formation of the institution was to give the under-privileged section of the society quality education and a platform to showcase their abilities.
Mr. Nanik Rupani along with Mr. Murli Adnani, Prof. Popati Hiranandani, Mr. Jamnadas Lalwani, Ms. Kaushi Mirpuri, Mr. Ramkrishna Advani, Mr. Chander Manghnani and Mr. Madhav Balwani founded the academy to help a young Kathak danseuse, Ms. Anila Sunder to get a platform to showcase her talent.
Priyadarshini helps talented individuals in the field of education, classical music, classical dance, painting & sculpture by providing them scholarships and a stage to portray their talent. Priyadarshani Academy is widely known for it’s award functions. In 1985, Priyadarshini Academy introduced ‘Global Awards’, ‘National Awards’ and ‘Smita Patil Memorial Awards’ for a Nationwide recognition of Indian talent.
Priyadarshni Academy has accomplished many ventures till date. The major events include:
- September 19, 1984- Established Priyadarshini.
- March 18, 1985- Inauguration of Priyadarshni Academy
- September 21, 1985- Priyadarshni Academy’s MAIDEN awards function
- December 21, 1986- Family Planning Medical Camp
- February 1, 1987- Formation of Priyadarshni Academy’s Anti- Dowry Committee
- April 20, 1990- Opening of Priyadarshni Academy sponsored telephone booth
- June 17, 1992- Tree plantation drive
- December 6, 1992- Felicitation of four eminent sindhis
- March 2, 1993- Formation of Priyadarshni Academy’s Science & Technology Committee
- August 20, 1993- Unveiling a life-size portrait of late Mr. Rajiv Gandhi in Parliament House
- January 22, 1994- Felicitation of Mr. Nanik Rupani
- April 16, 1996- Inauguration of first batch of Bharata Natyam and Sanskrit Classes
- August 25, 1996- Inauguration of the Laughter Club of Juhu by Priyadarshini Laughter Club International
- November 4, 1996- Launching of Cuffe Parade & Ballard Estate Directory
- November 30, 1996- Unfurling the World’s longest Banner with anti-drug messages
- March 15 to 22, 1998- SAARC delegation to Pakistan
- November 29, 1998- Opening of a Cardiac Care Centre for Rehabilitation and Stress Management
- January 25, 1999- Electric Parade to celebrate ‘India Tourism Day’
- February 2, 1999- Inauguration of ‘Priyadarshni Academy Forum for Environment Protection’.
- December 9, 2003- Foundation of National Society for Equal Opportunities for the Handicapped
- June 15, 2008- Inauguration of Academy’s ‘Healthy Youth, Healthy India’ Project
- November 6, 2009- Launching ceremony of the book ‘Kautilya’s Arthashastra: The way of financial management & economic governance.